Jeff Morales, the Chief Executive Officer for California’s High Speed Rail boondoggle is stepping down this summer. After goosing the taxpayers for about $2Million in Salary/Benefits since 2011 he finally has decided to step down before the High Speed Rail gets anywhere near completed or let alone high speed. From 2011-2015 Mr. Morales made just over $1.5Million in Salary/Benefits so unless he miraculously took a pay-cut in 2016 his total compensation comes near or just over the $2Million mark for 5 years of work. Great unaccountable work if you can get it.
Because he’s stepping down, and the position isn’t being eliminated, we’re going to have to replace him with some other goon who’ll get that fat paycheck. No wonder we keep needing to sell bonds to finance this nonsense boondoggle of 19th Century technology.
In the Press Release announcing Morales’ decision to leave they give some highlights of his tenure. Here’s a partial list with my notes in red:
- Injected upwards of $4 billion into California’s economy. Bond Debt with no way to pay for it. This is bad.
- Supported thousands of jobs in areas that have suffered chronic unemployment and put almost a thousand tradesmen and women to work. Make work jobs for the low-low price of $4 billion so far…
- Engaged well over 300 California small and disadvantaged businesses. What does “engaged” even mean here?
- Grown from just over a dozen employees to more than 200 employees. MOAR Bureaucracy! MOAR Make-Work! I’m not sure how that’s a good thing.
- Managed three successful procurement bids totaling more than $3 billion in contracts for 119 miles of construction, with each bid coming in hundreds of millions of dollars below engineers’ estimates. They are literally selling the point here that he spent $3 Billion. I could spend $3 Billion better for no money, let alone $500K/year. That’s another bad thing.
- Advanced the unprecedented environmental approval of the remaining segments. “Unprecedented”. In California? This stuff can’t be made up. For those who think environmental concerns in CA can EVER be “unprecedented” see: Smelt, Delta.
- Secured approval of the “d” plan for expenditure of bond funds, with first bond sales occurring this week. More plaudits for spending money we don’t actually have. He’s getting praised for saddling my kids with debt.
- Improved the right of way acquisition process, recovering from early delays. Improved? First of all this is something that should have been figured out BEFORE we started spending money and building Not Really High Speed Rail. Second the word “imrproved” is setting the bar pretty low here isn’t it?
I’d continue but you get the point I hope. This man is being applauded for spending money we don’t have, borrowing more money (bonds) we don’t have and getting things slowly moving on a project that will likely never get completed. Or if it does get completed won’t be used unless the State just bans all other forms of transportation. It seems the only thing High Speed about this project is the speed at which they spend money. I await finding out which HSR-Connected private firm Mr. Morales ends up working for after his departure.