Tonight’s show features Amanda McGuire, President of the CSUF College Republicans, talking about the Democrats coming after her and other topics of the day.
We discuss the recall election lawsuit, the CA GOP circular firing squad and if there’s any hope in fixing the CA GOP, CA becoming a “Sanctuary State”, Dianne Feinstein tangling with Kevin De León and Betsy DeVoss and finally the news of Harvey Weinstein for some local-ish flavor.
California Democratic Party Sues Conservative College Students In Unprecedented Move
- The Democrats’ lawsuit, which was filed in Sacramento Superior Court last Thursday, alleges that the College Republicans and other conservative activists “misled” voters in their successful signature gathering effort to recall Senator Newman. The suit names Amanda McGuire, Brooke Paz, and Ryan Hoskins (pictured below) as defendants in the suit, for volunteering their weekends to talk to constituents about the cost of Newman’s vote to the district’s taxpayers.
- Amanda McGuire, who is Vice-President of the College Republicans, asserted that “the lawsuit is a shameful and frantic attempt to silence voters of the district. The intimidation tactics espoused by the California Democrats should no longer be tolerated. It’s gone too far when college students are being dragged into court for becoming involved with the issues faced by their local cities. I’m proud to be a part of the party that fights to fix our government on every level.”
Let’s discuss how this played out.
California’s GOP has become a circular firing squad
- In just the last decade, Republican voter registration has declined from 34.2 percent of registered voters—still enough to make a difference—to 25.9 percent and by 2020 could fall into third place behind voters with no party preference, now 24.5 percent.
- –Joshua– How does the GOP fix this trend?
California becomes ‘sanctuary state’ in rebuke of Trump immigration policy
- De Leon: “California is building a wall of justice against President Trump’s xenophobic, racist and ignorant immigration policies,” he said to chants of “Sí se pudo,” or “Yes, we could” from the crowd.
- In a statement released Thursday, Becerra applauded the enactment of the SB 54, saying he stood “ready to fully defend the law.”
- –Joshua– This is the same Xaveir Becerra who stated that nobody, not even the POTUS could violate the law.
Feinstein hints at Senate re-election run
- “I’ve got things to fight for,” Feinstein said. “I’m in a position where I can be effective, and hopefully that means something to California.”
- When asked directly if she would run, she told the program’s host, Chuck Todd, “You’re going to find out about that very shortly.”
- –Joshua– I couldn’t care less if Feinstein runs again but word has it that Kevin de Leon, who is termed out in the California State Senate wants her seat. How sad is that the GOP doesn’t even have somebody people can point to as being in contention?
- de Leon wanting her seat can be evidenced by his constant demagoguery this last legislative cycle and his recent tangling with her over gun control.
De León tangles with Feinstein over her signature issue – gun control
- Tangling with Sen. Dianne Feinstein over one of her signature issues, California Senate President Pro Tem Kevin de León said Sunday that the United States can prevent mass killings like the one last week in Las Vegas by “getting weapons designed for the battlefield out of our neighborhoods.”
- –Joshua– First of all, we don’t even know which types of weapons were used in the Vegas shooting so this is grandstanding at it’s worst. Second, “weapons designed for the battlefield”? Like semi-automatic handguns?
- This dude doesn’t know the first thing about firearms.
- This is the second time in recent months that de León has seized on a Feinstein remark to draw a contrast between them. Speaking in San Francisco in August, Feinstein said Donald Trump still has time to change to become a “good president.”
- “I think we have to have some patience. I do,” she said at the Commonwealth Club event.
- De León shot back that “this president has not shown any capacity to learn and proven he is not fit for office.”
- “I don’t think children who breathe dirty air can afford patience,” he said. “The LGBT worker or woman losing their rights by the day or the black student who could be assaulted on the street, they can’t afford patience. DREAMers who are unsure of their fate in this country can’t afford patience. Even a Trump voter who is still out of work can’t afford to be patient.”
- –Joshua– More emotional grandstanding. Dirty air? Did Trump repeal the Clean Air Act or abolish California’s own version of the EPA? What rights are women or LGBT workers losing? Black students being assaulted on the streets? DREAMers who are unsure of their fate?
- There is so much to unpack with even election ready soundbyte out of this guy’s mouth.
But it brings me to another Feinstein story.
Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos rescinds Obama-era guidelines on campus sexual assault
- The department said it was withdrawing the Obama administration’s policy – which was spelled out in a 2011 letter to schools – because of criticism that it placed too much pressure on school administrators, favored alleged victims and lacked due process for people who had been accused of sexual assault.
- “Those documents have led to the deprivation of rights for many students – both accused students denied fair process and victims denied an adequate resolution of their complaints,” the department’s acting assistant secretary for civil rights, Candice Jackson, said in a letter Friday.
- Feinstein took some shots on Twitter against Betsy DeVos over her changing Title IX to how it was pre-Obama.
- (1/2) Sec. DeVos is putting rights of the accused above those of sexual assault victims. Absolutely unconscionable
- (2/2) I’ll continue to work in the Senate to protect victims of campus sexual assault. We can’t give up the fight. #TitleIX
- –Joshua– Is due process not a thing anymore?
Let’s talk about consistency with a CA Story on a similar subject.
Harvey Weinstein Paid Off Sexual Harassment Accusers for Decades
- An investigation by The New York Times found previously undisclosed allegations against Mr. Weinstein stretching over nearly three decades, documented through interviews with current and former employees and film industry workers, as well as legal records, emails and internal documents from the businesses he has run, Miramax and the Weinstein Company.
- During that time, after being confronted with allegations including sexual harassment and unwanted physical contact, Mr. Weinstein has reached at least eight settlements with women, according to two company officials speaking on the condition of anonymity. Among the recipients, The Times found, were a young assistant in New York in 1990, an actress in 1997, an assistant in London in 1998, an Italian model in 2015 and Ms. O’Connor shortly after, according to records and those familiar with the agreements.
- In a statement to The Times on Thursday afternoon, Mr. Weinstein said: “I appreciate the way I’ve behaved with colleagues in the past has caused a lot of pain, and I sincerely apologize for it. Though I’m trying to do better, I know I have a long way to go.”
- –Joshua– I don’t know about you but I cannot wait for the rebukes against this man during award season in a few months. That’ll happen, right?